Saturday, January 31, 2009

NFL Overtime Change?

Roger Goodell (commissioner of the NFL)has said,

"Historically about 30 percent of the games in overtime are decided with the team who wins the coin flip scoring on the first possession,'' Goodell said. "That number has risen to about 47 percent. That's significant, and I think it's something our [rules] committee has to look at. When you couple that with the fact that our field goal kickers are much more accurate than they have been in the past that is a danger.''

I'm not a fan of change, but an overtime rule like the college ranks would only seem fair. I was OK with a coin toss, but now that I think about it, it's truly not up to the teams that win. It's actually luck. A team's offense may never step foot on the field. I think an overtime like college football would bring more excitment in that each team has a chance to score and match the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment