Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dolphins in Review

I for one was excited to see the Miami Dolphins go 11-5 this year and see them make the playoffs. It was nice to be able to watch every game this season and know that each one counted. The win against the Jets made the season savoring, even if it was "one and done" in the playoffs.

The Parcells hiring meant that the Organization was going to get "football" minded and bring in a certain culture (toughness) ala Pittsburg Steelers. I liked the hiring of GM Jeff Ireland, but I wasn't sold on Sparano at first. Truthfully I was a Brian Bilick fan, because I wanted someone with NFL head coaching experience. Throughout the season, I noticed it was night and day with Cameron and Sparano (sloppy vs fundamentals).

This team was 1-15 last season, and everyone (ESPN, sports writers, fans) wrote them off this year because of that. It seems nobody understands the parody in the NFL. Remember, this was a team picked to win the Superbowl the season before the 1-15 disaster. I actually predicted a 9-7 record this year with Josh McCown as QB, then I went with a 10-6 record with Pennington as QB. It proves that with one good leader in the clubhouse and on the field a well prepared team can win on any given Sunday. Do you think they would have gone 1-15 if Trent Green stayed healthy? Just look at the Detroit Lions. I don't think they would have gone 0-16 if Kitna was QB. I fell off the 10-6 bandwagon after the Arizona game, but Sparano and the coaching staff proved to me that he is a coach that needs to stay around a long time in Miami. To me, he was the best signing this season.

I was questioning the draft with the two signings of Merling and Langford, wondering why two defensive ends in the early rounds. I was for the Jake Long signing, as a lot of others were for Chris Long. I am a fan of building an offensive line, because a good line will make the passing and rushing game better (killing two birds with one stone). Even though the rushing wasn't good out of the base offense, that may had a lot to do with injuries of Donald Thomas and Smiley later on. After seeing how the run defense played out this season, I am OK with Merling and Langford, because they can only get better. It proves that building a winning team, it starts with the trenches. To build a Superbowl team, that's where skill players come into play.

No comments:

Post a Comment